Who Should Install This Hotfix?
This is a hotfix for customers running XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1. All customers who are affected by the issues described in??CTX209443: Citrix XenServer Multiple Security Updates??should install this hotfix.
Issues Resolved In This Hotfix
This security hotfix addresses the vulnerabilities as described in the Security Bulletin above. In addition, it resolves the following issue:
- After installing the hotfix XS65ESP1016, certain security programs or debuggers can cause Windows VMs to reboot on Intel hardware.
This hotfix also includes the following previously released hotfixes:
- CTX142482 - Hotfix XS65E009 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX142537 - Hotfix XS65E010 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX201636 - Hotfix XS65E013 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX201740 - Hotfix XS65E014 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX202438 - Hotfix XS65E015 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX202618 - Hotfix XS65E017 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX203493 - Hotfix XS65E018 - For XenServer 6.5.0
- CTX142483 - Hotfix XS65ESP1002 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX142538 - Hotfix XS65ESP1004 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX201637 - Hotfix XS65ESP1008 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX201741 - Hotfix XS65ESP1009 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX202074 - Hotfix XS65ESP1011 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX202439 - Hotfix XS65ESP1014 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX202619 - Hotfix XS65ESP1016 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX203494 - Hotfix XS65ESP1019 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX205355 - Hotfix XS65ESP1023 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
- CTX209355 - Hotfix XS65ESP1026 - For XenServer 6.5.0 Service Pack 1
Installing the Hotfix
Customers should use either XenCenter or the XenServer Command Line Interface (CLI) to install this update. When the installation is complete, restart the server for the update to take effect. As with any software update, back up your data before applying this hotfix. Citrix recommends updating all hosts within a pool sequentially. Upgrading of hosts should be scheduled to minimize the amount of time the pool runs in a "mixed state" where some hosts are upgraded and some are not. Running a mixed pool of updated and non-updated hosts for general operation is not supported.
Note:??The attachment to this article is a zip file. It contains both the hotfix update package and the source code for any modified open source components. The source code is not necessary for hotfix installation: it is provided to fulfill licensing obligations.
Installing the update by using XenCenter
- Download the update to a known location on a computer that has XenCenter installed.
- In XenCenter, on the??Tools??menu, select??Install Update. This displays the Install Update wizard.
- Click??Next??to start the wizard.
- Click??Add??to upload a new update.
- Browse to the location where you downloaded the hotfix, select it, and then click??Open.
- From the list of updates select??XS65ESP1028.xsupdate??and then click??Next.
- Select the hosts you wish to apply the Service Pack to, and then click??Next.
- The??Install Update??wizard performs checks to ensure there is sufficient space to upload the update. If there is enough space, the wizard successfully completes the upload. If there is insufficient space to upload the update, an error will be displayed:
- To free up required space, if there are any residual hotfix update files remaining on the host that can be deleted, the wizard offers to clean up these files. Click??Clean up??to review your options and remove the files. Note that this action does not uninstall hotfixes.
- If the??Install Update??wizard cannot free up the space required for the upload, you must manually delete files on your host. Click??More Info??for information about space required and take necessary action to free up the required space.
- The Install Update wizard performs a number of update prechecks, including the space available on the hosts, to verify that the update can be applied on the selected servers and displays the result. Follow the on-screen recommendations to resolve any update prechecks that have failed. If you want XenCenter to automatically resolve all failed prechecks, click??Resolve All??and click??Next.
- Choose the??Update Mode. Review the information displayed on the screen and select an appropriate mode and then click??Install update.
- Click??Install update??to proceed with the installation. The Install Update wizard shows the progress of the update, displaying the major operations that XenCenter performs while updating each host in the pool
- When the update has been applied, click??Finish??to close the wizard.
- If you chose to carry out the post-update tasks, do so now.
Note:??If you click Cancel at this stage, the??Install Update??wizard reverts the changes and removes the update file from the host.
Installing the update by using the xe Command Line Interface
- Download the update file to a known location.
- Extract the xsupdate file from the zip.
- Upload the xsupdate file to the Pool Master by entering the following commands:??
(Where??hostname??is the Pool Master's IP address or DNS name.)
xe patch-upload -s??<hostname>??-u root -pw??<password>??file-name=<path_to_update_file>\XS65ESP1028.xsupdateXenServer assigns the update file a UUID which this command prints. Note the UUID.
- Apply the hotfix to all hosts in the pool, specifying the UUID of the hotfix:
xe -s??<hostname>??-u root -pw??<password>??patch-pool-apply uuid=0752c187-ff21-4038-9ae0-45c87320a6d0
- Verify that the update was applied by using the??patch-list??command.
xe patch-list -s??<hostname>??-u root -pw??<password>??name-label=XS65ESP1028If the update is successful, the??hosts??field contains the UUIDs of the hosts to which this patch was successfully applied. This should be a complete list of all hosts in the pool.
- To verify in XenCenter that the update is applied correctly, select the Pool, and then click the??General??tab. This displays the Pool properties. In the??Updates??section, ensure that the update is listed as??Fully Applied.
- The hotfix is applied to all hosts in the pool, but does not take effect until each host restarts. For each host, migrate the VMs that you wish to keep running, and shut down the remaining VMs before restarting the host.
|Hotfix File md5sum||9b78f0bf528ca99124d6e3ed77cea100|
|Hotfix Source Filename||XS65ESP1028-src-pkgs.tar.bz2|
|Hotfix Source File md5sum||e5f46fd3e6b716d73504145c682e27fd|
|Hotfix Zip Filename||XS65ESP1028.zip|
|Hotfix Zip File md5sum||d782bed605048f04714e6c759830fdcb|